x

Username:

Password:

or Register

Lost Password?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
How To Make Minecraft Run Faster
10-29-2011, 06:07 PM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2012 06:03 PM by NateN34G.)
How To Make Minecraft Run Faster
How to Make Minecraft Run Faster

[Image: spoutcraft_551x150.png]

Are you sick of lagging in game? Are you sick of low FPS in Minecraft?

Well, then this thread is for you. I will go through how to make Minecraft run great on even the lowest end PC's.

Don't believe me? I have a Pentium 4 @3Ghz PC that runs this game at 20-30 FPS without these tweaks. With the following tweaks I am now running it at 70-120 FPS.

Steps:

1. RAM

Quote:* Requirement: At least 2 GBs of system RAM.

- Minecraft is an absolute hog. It typically uses 1 GB natively and an OS such as Windows 7 can consume anywhere from 300 to 1.5 gigs of RAM at idle. Having this much RAM is essential, if you need more RAM then I recommend purchasing from http://www.newegg.com.

2. Java

Quote:* Java 7 is essential to your FPS boosting needs.
- Java 7 is the newest, heavily optimized version of Java. Using it means that it will consume less CPU and RAM, whilst boosting your FPS! With just Java 7 alone, you can see a 10-30 FPS boost.

+ You can download it at (make sure you get the proper verion):
64 bit: http://download.oracle.com/otn-pub/java/...ws-x64.exe
32 bit: http://download.oracle.com/otn-pub/java/...i586-s.exe

+ Make sure to UNINSTALL ALL PREVIOUS JAVA version before installing this one.

+ This is the golden ticket to increasing your FPS, make sure to try this one out!
3. Spoutcraft Optimization

Quote:* Spoutcraft is a client that supports multiplayer mods and will boost FPS by a lot

- It has Optifine built into it, which enables extra tweaks and optimizations. It also allows you to get extra items in the creative server.
+ You can download it at http://spout.in/exe or http://spout.in/app for Mac.
+ There is options to turn off weather, disable fog, disable/lower clouds, change water graphic speed, textures and much much more.
+ Note: There is SO MANY options in the "video options" menu, that you need to actually scroll through them...don't miss that feature!

4. Hyperthreading

Quote:* If you are using a CPU with HT (hyperthreading), then you need to disable it.
- Minecraft is only singlethreaded and will only run on half a core, if you have HT on. By disabling HT, you will double your FPS and be able to use your full CPU core.

5. Process Priority

Quote:* Go to taskmanager and right click on Minecraft and choose "go to process". From there, right click on the "javaw" process and choose "High Priority".

+ This has been known to increase FPS on SOME systems.
+ Note, I would only use this as a LAST RESORT.

6. Graphical Options

Quote:* With Spoutcraft, you get a huge new list of graphical options, which can improve performance.

- Turning everything from fancy to fast is an easy way to improve performance.
- Although if you want to keep nice graphics, whilst getting better FPS, then I recommend you set it to "Fast Clouds" and "Fast Weather" as these are the biggest FPS hogs.

* New!
* Can see huge FPS gains on certain systems!

7. CPU Affinity

Quote:* You can boost FPS by a good amount, by assigning Minecraft to certain cores.

- Contrary to popular belief, with Java 7, Minecraft can use UP TO 2 cores. It can fully utilize both of these cores to their max.
- So that means if you have a triple or quad core CPU, you can see huge FPS improvements from assigning Minecraft to run on certain cores. I have personally seen a 175 FPS increase on my desktop (used to get 256 and with this, I now get ~450+).

+ To assign Minecraft to certain cores, open up task manager.
+ From in here, go to "Processes" tab and find javaw.exe in the list of running processes.
+ Right click this javaw.exe process and choose "Set Affinity
+ From in this window you will see a list of your CPU cores. Uncheck them all and choose only leave 2 checked if you are on a quad core. If you are on a dual core, leave 2 checked too. Single cores should also do so, but to their one core..

8. CPU

Quote:* This is the last resort and that is your CPU. To run this game, you need a pretty hefty CPU and if you don't meet the minimum requirements that I list below, then no amount of optimization will really make this playable.

- Recommended: Celeron @ 2Ghz or Athlon @ 2.8 Ghz or higher
- Minimum: Pentium 4 @ 3 Ghz or AMD Athlon @ 2.4 Ghz or higher
+ Note that even lower clocked dual cores today will smoke a higher clocked older processor. If you unsure of how your processor will do, then just ask in this thread.

9. Graphics Card

Quote:* With each update, Minecraft is becoming more and more graphically demanding and therefore requires a good graphics card too!
+ These days, intergrated graphics card will only cut it for Youtube videos and such. For Minecraft, you will want a DISCRETE GPU, if you want it to run good.

Requirements:
- Minimum GPU: 128 MB GPU (8400 GT or better).
- Recommended GPU: 256 MB or better (8500GT or better).

8. Video settings

Quote:*Go into your options and video settings menu. From there, set the Performance button to "Max FPS". This way it will be pushing the most FPS out of your PC hardware.

[Image: video_settings_max_fps.png]

You can also change all the other options to disabled or fast to improve FPS.

Hope this helps, have fun!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-29-2011, 10:05 PM
RE: How To Make Minecraft Run Faster
This will able me to record crap and post it in less than decent quality!!!! Thanks Nate!

Insert signature here
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-30-2011, 06:24 AM
Cool, looks like a lot of options for old PCs. Nate, you ever heard about bumping up the bus rates on your mobo? (The Bus architecture that goes to the RAM, not CPU )
10-30-2011, 08:41 AM
(10-30-2011 06:24 AM)Disgruntled Wrote:  Cool, looks like a lot of options for old PCs. Nate, you ever heard about bumping up the bus rates on your mobo? (The Bus architecture that goes to the RAM, not CPU )

Yeah, I think that helps AMD CPU's a lot. I believe you can penmod even Dell PC's to up the bus rate.

Although the PC I use is quad 200 mhz bus and has 4 sticks of 200 mhz dual channel, so it wouldn't help me.

Slow RAM ;(
10-30-2011, 06:03 PM (This post was last modified: 10-30-2011 06:04 PM by NOSOUPFORYOU13.)
Just installed Java 7, and am now going to install Spoutcraft :D
Based on the computer specs I posted on the Computer specs thread, how well do I meet the requirements?

[Image: banner_73.png]
10-30-2011, 08:57 PM
(10-30-2011 06:03 PM)Burrowdizzy Wrote:  Just installed Java 7, and am now going to install Spoutcraft :D
Based on the computer specs I posted on the Computer specs thread, how well do I meet the requirements?

Definitively should be able to play.
10-30-2011, 10:08 PM
annd what about mine?
... ehh who am I kidding? i need a better computer....

[Image: mca.png]
11-01-2011, 05:02 PM
I'm guessing Java 7 is a new Java that can run way faster than the old version?? Idk though

Insert signature here
11-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Wounder will this also bump up other games

[Image: mca.png]
11-02-2011, 03:04 AM
(11-01-2011 05:02 PM)h4ym4n Wrote:  I'm guessing Java 7 is a new Java that can run way faster than the old version?? Idk though

Yeah.